There is a point every Nashville winter when you can’t uncover the cause of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Nashville home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and breaks in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with functional means and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Nashville to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to attend to the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Nashville a call at 615-348-8786 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.